Monday, November 28, 2011

Stuffed Bellies and Birds: Thanksgiving at Prakanong Rock

Happy Thanksgiving from Thailand!!!
On Thursday 24 November, I hosted my first Thanksgiving dinner… in Thailand.  Thanksgiving is perhaps my favorite holiday, because it is a time when you can enjoy family, eat a hearty meal, and remember all that you have to be thankful for.  I decided that rather than celebrate alone and by myself (which isn’t really the purpose of the holiday at all!) I would invite my Thai classmates and new family over.  We crammed 22 students into my tiny apartment in Prakanong and celebrated life, family and friends over a delicious meal.  It was the first time I had a turkey without grandma’s supervision and I quickly learned that for six of the 22 of us – it was their first time ever eating turkey! 
Delicious dinner - from all over the world :)

It was a very international Thanksgiving, where each person came with a traditional dish from home.  We had turkey and stuffing, with side dishes of Massaman curry, Indonesian noodles and Japanese sushi.  We had Thai fruits and a Colombian sweet dessert, and beer from Lao.  

 
When I began spreading word of my party a few weeks before, I realized that no one knew what Thanksgiving was – because of course, it is only celebrated in the United States.  I had made a few jokes and references to history in my invitation that no one understood because no one knew what pilgrims and Native Americans were, and only two people from my class had seen Pocahontas so I couldn’t even rely on Disney’s horrible portrayal of history to help me.  After more people began to look up ‘pilgrims,’ ‘Plymouth Rock’ and ‘Native American,’ the decision was made that Thanksgiving would be a “costume party” – of course, with only two options being – Native American or pilgrim.  I bought face paint (you have NO idea how hard it is to find that here in Thailand) and feathers, and we had way too much fun dressing up.
My FIRST turkey!
Because no one else had to learn “American history,” I found myself having to explain it - I had never had to explain Jamestown, pilgrims, John Smith or Thanksgiving, because everyone around me also had to endure the painfully boring history class on U.S. colonization and settlement.  It was kind of fun to explain it to people…although I also realized how little I could accurately remember from my middle school history classes!

As we were all sitting there, sharing stories, and having an amazing time, I had a moment where I had to pinch myself and make sure it all was real.


The two Americans - celebrating Thanksgiving in a not-so-traditional way!
In the past year, I went from a desk job in cold New York City to an incredibly new, different and beautiful life here in Thailand.  I am learning so much culturally and academically each and every day I often wonder if my brain will explode!  I am surrounded by incredibly intelligent and interesting individuals that challenge my learning in new ways each and every day.  Today, I am thankful for my friends and family at home – who have supported me on this amazing adventure from the beginning.  I am also grateful for my new friends and family here in Thailand and cannot wait for the next year of adventures together.  And I am most thankful to Rotary International and Foster City – who, without their help, love and support, I never would find myself sitting on the floor of my apartment eating sushi and curry for Thanksgiving dinner 8,000 miles from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment