How do you describe soaring hundreds of feet in the air on a tiny
wire?! You are flying. For the first few
lines, the rush of the jump is so great, you can’t even process the beautiful
scenery around you. By the time you can
grasp the beauty of the rainforest, you are ready to take on more daring stunts
on the zip line – backwards, upside down, and zigzag. The thrill of the zip line never gets old,
and the adrenaline rush is addicting.
| In the middle of the jungle - having a BLAST! |
We made it to Chiang Mai after another 3 hour bus ride with lots of
patience, international sign language, patience, car sickness, and
patience. While prices of food and accommodation
paralleled the pattern of Chiang Rai with a large increase because of the
shortage, much like Chiang Rai, the tourism industry was hit hard with the lack
of tourists in the region, and most prices were beyond reasonable and a much
better deal – even for poor “naksuksaa” students like ourselves.
So we talked our
way into four cheap all-inclusive tickets for the “Flight of the Gibbon” - a zip
line near Chiang Mai with over 5 kms of zip line that has you gliding through
different layers of rainforest canopy.
We chose this program because everyone said it was the highlight of
their trip up North, they provided transportation and meals, and we all thought
we could use a different kind of adventure from our hill tribe overnight! There are over 45 different platforms, sky
bridges and jumps to really make you feel like you are flying like a gibbon
monkey from tree to tree. After my first
“flight” I certainly felt like a shrieking something!![]() |
| On a Skybridge |
The safety instructions were actually further terrifying. They were less than a minute long, and
situated next to a giant sign that showed a graphic of a person falling and said,
“Always stay attached.” Like I have any
control over that! The next thing I
knew, I heard the sound of a click and I was thrown off my first zip line. Ten seconds and ten screams later, I was
soaring in a rainforest on an 800 meter zip line.
You would get to the top of the platform and when it was your turn, you
would hear the fastener click…and then go.
The Sky Rangers were rather (hmmm what is the right word:
thrill-seeking, adventurous, dangerous?!) and would often throw people off the
platform or twist their wire so they zig zagged down the entire course…so you
never knew what to expect.
| We survived! |
The second you heard that click – you had no idea exactly what would
happen, except that you were going to be pushed off the platform. Sometimes they half pushed you, just to get a
scream or crazy reaction. When I
wouldn’t scream an expletive, I would typically scream something like “Ahhhhhhhh
Oh my God!” to which our Sky Rangers would say, “No no no. We say, ‘Oh my Buddha.’” Which was then quickly modified to “Oh My
Monkey.”
I don’t think the four of us have ever eaten so much as the lunch we had
after our zip line. I’m not sure why we
were so exhausted – we didn’t exert much physical energy – but perhaps all the
screaming took it out of us! That Thai
meal was delicious and we absolutely got our money’s worth alone with the
food.


No comments:
Post a Comment