Monday, November 7, 2011

FLOODS UPDATE


Due to the flooding in Bangkok, I was not able to post to this blog for several weeks.  The floods are still ongoing in Bangkok at the moment, and the situation continues to be very serious, with many of my classmates apartment’s underwater, including my own.  I have chosen not to focus on all of the difficulties in the past few weeks mainly because I think my poor grandmother would faint if she heard about all of the snakes, mosquitoes, yellow rafts and grass huts.  Instead, I have focused on various portions of the flooding, my evacuation, and adventures along the way.
Don Muang Airport in Bangkok
I returned to Bangkok this morning from the North after an eleven-day evacuation on an overnight bus and spent all day trying to obtain food and drinking water.  The city is deserted, all restaurants and shops are boarded up, and it is creepy wandering around the mall by yourself without the feeling of a salmon, battling the large currents of people – now, it is just…quiet.  Empty.
The next few days will be crucial to see where the path of the water will go.  While the newspapers have been paying a lot of attention to the crocodiles and snakes that are in the waters (most recently, 15 green mambas…yikes!), for me, the greatest concern is the disease that comes with the waters and of course, access to drinking water and food.
At this point in time, over 500 people have been killed and the floods are nowhere near over.  Please continue to pray for Thailand.
Flooded Market in Bangkok; October 24th, 2011.
***As many of you know my love for photography, while these photos are certainly hard to stomach, I think they accurately and artistically depict what is currently going on here in Thailand:   

No comments:

Post a Comment