| Cooling off in the waterfall! |
After that, we trekked to our home stay, and set up camp for the night. I was extremely excited to stay with a hill tribe, and was trying to contain my excitement, when all of a sudden, when being introduced to our host family, two puppies came rolling out from under a table playing, and I was in heaven. After 24 hours in transit with less than 5 hours of sleep, there is nothing like an adorable puppy (let alone TWO!) to cheer you up.
| Playing with a new friend in the village |
We spent all evening running around the village, playing with everything from puppies to pigs. We got to meet several of the villagers and practiced our international sign language (as they did not speak Thai) and had a very delicious and romantic candlelit dinner.
It cannot go without mention however,
that the mosquitoes here are bigger than life-size. I am fairly certain that these bloodsuckers
are on steroids because they are more than twice the size of a normal mosquito. Furthermore, I’m extremely popular with
mosquitoes, which is NOT the kind of popularity one should hope for. As a result, mosquito repellent has become my
new scent, and I happily spray it around every chance I get. It still is no defense from these monsters,
which manage to bite at every ample opportunity.
| Candlelit dinner :) |
| Our room for the night... |
At about 2am, I was woken up to the sound of intense thunder, lightning, and pounding rain. Suba was also wide awake. We quickly realized our grass hut was NOT as waterproof as one might hope, and we scrambled to keep our blanket dry as all of our belongings were soaked. In the beginning, we were laughing, and saying how thankful we were that we had a warm meal, a semi-decent roof over our head, and a place to sleep. But heaping puddles, soaking wet clothes and two hours later – we were not as enthusiastic about our situation.
Yet I still could not get this
woman’s face out of my mind from our volunteering at Chula two days before –
and I still knew, despite the rain, despite the mosquitoes, and despite the
spiders in the bathroom that had a leg span the size of my HAND, we were lucky.
No comments:
Post a Comment