| Sandbags line the shops in my neighborhood... |
After class today, I went to
Chula with a few classmates to help package supplies for flood victims. Unlike the Red Cross, which had an abundance
of volunteers and specific schedules of shipments, Chula was a giant warehouse full
of supplies and in dire need of volunteers.
| Phoo and I pausing for a picture with all the stuffed rucksacks in the background! |
Like I mentioned in my earlier
volunteering efforts with the Red Cross – it amazes me how a language barrier
can almost disappear, just for a moment, in a time of crisis. Students eagerly grabbed our hands, pointed
to various piles of supplies, handed us plastic bags and said “Help.” For the first two hours, we “waterproofed”
medical kits – by wrapping them in plastic bags and securing them with rubber
bands. Every group of volunteers in the
room was focused on preparing one item – whether it was packing soup cans
together, weighing rice, or counting life jackets. After successfully packing 16 large boxes of
over 1,000 medical kits, we then rearranged the entire gymnasium so that each
pile of goods was laid out in one section.
Volunteers then were given a rucksack and went around the room, taking
one item from each pile, and placing it into the bag. It was amazing all the goods that went into
one bag – food, water, large bags of rice and canned goods, shampoo,
conditioner, toothbrushes, medical kits, a pack of playing cards, etc. It was also amazing how quick that rucksack
got heavy!
| Successful waterproofing of medical kits with all my classmates! |
The Thai Navy was there to load
all of the rucksacks onto a massive flatbed truck, and as soon as one truck was
loaded, it immediately left for distribution.
As we were leaving, I noticed there was a section outside around the
corner where people were also bringing rucksacks. I was a little confused why they were going
somewhere else besides the flatbed trucks with hunky men in uniform, so I
nosily decided to get closer to see what this special side unit was for…
What I failed to realize, is
that while Chula was at the forefront of sending supplies to those affected by
the floods, it was also denoted as one of the main campsites for refugees from
the floods. Flood victims are taken to
this gymnasium for housing, supplies, and a hot meal, after everything they had
has been taken away from them. I cannot
begin to describe the emotions that these people wore. While it is painful to watch the news and
reports on TV, I was not prepared to see these flood victims face to face. I caught the glance of one mother’s eyes and
the pain, sadness and desolation of everything,
I could see it all right there in her exhausted, defeated face. I was so upset; I looked straight at the
floor and could feel my face flush with embarrassment.
I cannot get her face out of my
mind. I cannot imagine losing
everything.
![]() |
| Evacuation Site in Bangkok |

No comments:
Post a Comment