
What could possibly
be cooler than flying hundreds of meters above a rainforest?! Well, I’m not sure I can compare the two, but
today, Carolina and I went to an Elephant Training Camp, where for one day, we
got to be mahout elephant trainers, and learn how to instruct elephants.
A few quick facts
about elephants. The elephant is Earth's largest land animal, although the Asian
elephant is slightly smaller than its African cousin. Asian elephants weigh between 6,000 and
11,000 pounds. Our host Woody explained
that Asian elephants sleep for about 4 hours in the day, and eat and poop the
remaining 20. I thought he was kidding –
but quickly learned that ALL THEY DO IS EAT.
I decided I could get used to that lifestyle :)
Having a baby elephant is a serious commitment. Two of the elephants at mahout camp were pregnant – which I thought was a high ratio considering there were only 8 elephants! But I learned that elephants have a lot longer pregnancy than any other mammal—nearly 22 months! Cows usually give birth to one calf every two to four years. At birth, elephants already weigh some 200 pounds (91 kilograms) and stand about three feet (1 meter) tall. Elephants also have babies until they are about 50 years old and live to about 70 years old.
![]() | |
| You can see all the Thai elephant commands on my arm! |
They taught
us nine command words in three minutes…in Thai!
I decided that this was memorization for a quiz I couldn’t afford to
fail, so I “cheated” and wrote all of the words on my arm (hence the
picture!). Here are the basic
commands for elephants. Of course, there
is no correct spelling because these words are in Thai, but this is what it
should sound like (at least to me!):
Pai = to go forward
Toy = to go backwards
Sai = turn left
Quaa = turn right
Bonsoon = open mouth for
food
And Most
importantly, Yut = Stop!
![]() |
| Swimming with our elephant! |
To get on the
elephant, you say: “Yo Ka” in
which the elephant raises her front leg and makes a step for you to climb
on. Once you are on her foot you say “Soon”
and the elephant raises her leg even higher so that you can climb on! Incredible.
Of course, the most
important word is “Di Mak” which means very good!
We spent the
morning practicing our commands with the elephants. Getting on and off (which is actually really
difficult), steering, and most importantly …stopping! Of course we fed them plenty of bananas and
got to see a few tricks. We then loaded
the truck full of hay, fed the elephants, had a delicious Thai meal, and then
went on a two-hour trek bareback riding our elephants. It turns out “driving” an elephant is
INCREDIBLY difficult, and while they may have big ears – they do NOT always
listen – especially when there are delicious looking plants to eat on the side
of the road.
![]() |
| We couldn't leave without some elephant kisses first! |
We trekked to a
river and bathed the elephants and had a rather one-sided water fight. Elephant trunks are much better than any water
gun I ever had as a kid. I think if I
had an elephant for the Songkran water festival here in Thailand in April – I would
win that water fight easily!
Today was one of
the best days in my life. I have always
admired elephants but I had never before been able to spend so much time with
them – they truly are remarkable creatures and incredibly smart. It was also refreshing to be out in the
jungle and breathe fresh air (which Bangkok seriously lacks). If you ever do travel to Thailand and have a
sense of adventure, or perhaps just want a great water fight, this should not be missed.



No comments:
Post a Comment