| Our picnic lunch next to the waterfall in Thoeng |
| Kwan with her SPICY som tum! |
Second thing to note – sticky rice makes EVERY dish infinitely better. Thanks to Kwan, Carolina and I are officially obsessed with sticky rice. Each morning and every night – Kwan and her family make three batches of sticky rice – that’s 6 pounds of rice a day! And trust me – they eat it all.
Because of our new-found love
for sticky rice, Carolina and I were determined to learn the process by which
to make it, so that we could take what we learned back to Bangkok. My hope was to have sticky rice and mango
every day – if I had it my way, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We were able to help each morning with the
sticky rice, and all I can say is that Carolina, Josje and I have a new
appreciation for the amount of work that goes into those little baskets! You must let the rice soak, overnight, in
water. Then you have to cook it on the
stove with this complex wok/vase pot where it becomes all sticky, mash it on
this wooden device and then shove it into little wicker baskets. For one little batch of sticky rice – you are
looking at over 14 hours of work!
| The Cooking Crew - ready to take on Foster City's own! |
| Green Curry we made! |
Over our several days with Kwan
and her family, we learned how to make several dishes. Kwan asked us what our favorite Thai dishes
were, and we each took turns learning how to make our own. My favorite is Panang Curry (of course!),
Carolina chose Pad Thai, and Josje chose this minced mint pork which is also
one of my favorites.
They.were.delicious.
Kwan told us that once we
learned how much work went into Thai food – we would never want to cook it
again. I could not agree with her
more. And from that point on, every
single chicken curry or sticky rice box I have eaten, I am extremely appreciative.
No comments:
Post a Comment