 |
| The first krathong sighting on the lake at Lumpini park at dusk |
10 November, 2011: After class, the Evacuation
2554 crew (me, Carolina, Josje and Suba) went straight to Lumpini Park to
prepare for what we were told, was a spectacular festival of lights, Loy Krathong. We brought our homework, staked out a spot on
the lake with the perfect view, and read away the afternoon waiting for it to
get dark. We took a break from our
studies by going to purchase a few krathongs of our own and spent twenty
minutes agonizing over which color flowers we should each chose!
We ate a delicious picnic
dinner of curries, papaya salad, noodles and pineapple on the grass waiting with
immense anticipation, for the action.
 |
| Thai Family lighting krathong together |
Around 7:00 pm, little lights
started to appear all over the lake.
People were lighting their krathongs and setting them afloat along the
beds of the lake. Carolina and I decided
to walk around the lake and see all of the excitement. In the first ten minutes of our lap around
the lake, I spent every second trying to “document” what I was seeing with my
camera. Like a true unprofessional photojournalist
– I had the naïve idea I could capture all of this on my camera…but with the
low-lighting it was near impossible.
Frustrated – I angrily put my camera away, and it was really only then that
I was able to see the beauty of the Loy Krathong festival.
 |
| Every krathong was different! |
Due to the floods in Bangkok,
most of the events for the Festival of Lights were cancelled, but Lumpini Park
was one of the few designated areas where people could let their krathongs lose
– on the condition that instead of each individual having their own krathong,
one family could send off one krathong.
It was beautiful to watch entire families, hunched over at the corner of
the lake, lighting their krathong, saying a prayer all holding hands, and all
placing the krathong in the water together to let it go. I saw grandparents holding their
grandchildren’s hands and father’s helping their children light their krathong. Each krathong was special and unique – some
with intricate design, some with sparkling candles, others with paper
flowers…each one was different.
 |
| Placing my Krathong in the water |
This was the first time since
the floods, that I had seen so many people, and it was the first time since the
floods, that I saw so many families.
Although we were told this celebration was nothing compared to past
years and the poor turnout was due to the floods, I was so so happy to see so
many people coming out for Loy Krathong and so so happy to see people! Due to the flooding, Bangkok became a quiet, eerie,
deserted town. This was the first time
it seemed full of life – and it was wonderful to see.
 |
| The most adorable couple on the lake that I couldn't help but stalk. Truly beautiful. |
No comments:
Post a Comment