| Suba, Phoo and I at the Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon |
After we checked into our hotel, showered, napped and recovered,
we met another classmate Phoo and her boyfriend to try and schedule our
trip. We organized bus tickets,
instituted a potential itinerary, called several hostels in the area, and
booked the first leg of our trip. After
we got the logistics out of the way, we had a delicious dinner, walked around
Inya lake admiring the sunset, and went to Shwedagon Pagoda.
According to historical record, the Shwedagon Pagoda is over
2500 years old since BC 588 making it the oldest Pagoda and the most ancient
historical Pagoda in both Myanmar and in the world. In truth, this 2500 year old testament to
religious faith is the very heart and soul of Myamar. Every good Buddhist tries to make at least
one pilgrimage here in their lifetime.
The compound houses 83 buildings, temples and pagodas. Over the years, the zedi (stupa) has grown to
98 m tall and has reportedly accumulated more than 53 metric tons of gold
leaf. The top of the spire is encrusted
with more than 5000 diamonds and 2000 other stones.
| Candles lit at the pagoda |
You could see it from miles away.
GOLD. Phoo explained that during
the day, it is mainly filled with tour groups, but at night, it is really
reserved for locals. As we entered the
massive compound, I quickly realized I stood out like a sore thumb (when do I
not stick out these days?!) and became very self-conscious of my
surroundings. We were perhaps the only
tourists in the entire compound – and it was very apparent that the place was
still in good use by the local people. Phoo
and her boyfriend took us around the enormous complex – explaining its history
and letting us admire every piece of architecture, gold and decor it had to
offer. I would highly recommend coming
at night as it was beautiful to see such a colossal pagoda being used by so
many people. I have felt, for
example, at the Grand Palace in Bangkok, that it really is not utilized for
more than trapping tourists. Here – it was
wonderful to see such wide-spread use out of a beautiful structure.
No comments:
Post a Comment