Monday, January 2, 2012

Insaene Township: Ei Ei’s Village


Laundry hanging to dry in Ei Ei's backyard
As the taxi pulled up to Ei Ei’s village, there were groups of children playing games, puppies stumbling about, and chickens fluttering everywhere.  I sat there for a moment and thought, “Wow, this is a part of Myanmar I never would have been able to see if it weren’t for Ei Ei.”

We dropped off our stuff and immediately walked around town in search of a longyi.  Ei Ei was the maid of honor in her friend’s wedding later that week and she graciously invited us to come with her.  Suba and I of course wanted to look the part – and needed to buy a longyi for the ceremony!
Ei Ei is Karen (Kayin) – one of the 136 documented ethnic groups in Myanmar.  Her town was mainly Karen, and Ei Ei explained to us that the longyis that we purchased from her village were also Karen-styled longyis.  We met her entire family, I chased some of the dogs around the yard, met the family pig (which later became the main Christmas dish the next day for the entire village :( and wandered around.
Pillow game where you try to knock your opponent off the bamboo stick

The highlight of the village was the annual Christmas Eve games.  We watched different games – my favorite being the one pictured below.  Two people sat hoisted on a bamboo stick.  They had to keep their feet and hands off the ground and off the bamboo bar.  They each had a feather pillow and would hit each other until one person fell off or put their hands/feet down.  I thought it looked like harmless fun and was nearly coerced into a game myself – when I saw one person fall OFF the bamboo log.  She fell smack on the ground on her face!  I decided I would stick to observer status and cheering squad supporter rather than attempt that.   

They really did climb all the way up there!
The most impressive game was the climbing of a greased bamboo pole that all of the local teenage boys participated in.  We watched them climb on top of each other and use immense strength to climb up a slick bamboo pole, only to topple down on one another seconds later.  The game that appeared to be the most fun – was the football match between the older, married women in the village against the young, single teenage women.  Barefoot and in longyis, they squealed and screamed all over the field, laughing and having fun.

As we drove away from Ei Ei’s village, I knew this was something I would never forget.  The laughter, the games, and the honest fun that we had was something I hadn’t experienced in a while.  I was so honored to be a part of her family and both Suba and I, who were feeling rather homesick around the holidays, really enjoyed spending time with her family and neighbors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment