Monday, January 9, 2012

Explore. Dream. Discover. Myanmar

“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

Stepping out of our taxi cab in downtown Yangon, felt like a trip back in time. Trucks from WWII war movies roared past, while people scurried along the dirt roads. I watched women haul their market items over their shoulder on a stick with two pails, one at each end, and I jumped back as I nearly got splattered with beetle-nut spit as one man projected into the street.



One of the many Myanmar children that I made CRY!


As we were introduced to Ei Ei’s village, family, neighbors, and friends, I couldn’t help but notice people laughing. I was concerned that I had done something inappropriate or was rude without knowing. Ei Ei could tell by my face I was concerned and said, “Oh don’t take it personally, the babies in my village have just never seen someone that looks like you.” I made babies cry. Not just one baby, as Suba reminded me – at least twelve, in the first day. Parents were laughing because they thought their kids reaction was hilarious! I realized that for some of the children in Insein, I was the first blonde hair, blue-eyed person to step foot in their village. As the day went on and there were more wails as I walked past, I became more and more upset. I tried to put myself in their tiny booties and think back to when I first saw a person that looked “different” but I couldn’t remember. I tried to smile, which seemed to only make things worse. It became a game for all of us throughout the entire trip. Suba would nicely approach a baby, get its attention, and then point at me. Every time one would wail, everyone would start laughing…except me. My face makes babies in Myanmar CRY!


As we walked around downtown Yangon that evening (scaring a few more children with my looks), Phoo’s boyfriend pointed out a car. I asked him why he was so excited about this particular car – and he said it was the new 2002 model, which wasn’t supposed to come out for another week or so with the new year. I arrogantly and naively corrected him saying “You mean 2012.” He laughed and said, no, we are just getting the two-thousand TWO models in just in time for the new year…in 2012!

The most anticipated, and highly disappointing part of our trip (which in turn, is perhaps a good thing!), was the military junta. Suba and I were anxiously awaiting our confrontation with the extremists and Myanmar came and went, without a single incident. We barely SAW the military! Of course, given the areas we traveled, it is understandable to assume that the military would tactfully not position themselves in areas of “high tourism,” nevertheless, when military government officials boarded our bus and began rifling through people’s belongings and demanding passports, Suba and I were excited. We fumbled through our backpacks to find our passports and I placed my finger on the page with my Myanmar visa, ready. As they inched closer, we both looked at each other and almost smiled in excitement – FINALLY! We get a chance to see these ruthless dictators. In hindsight, and after further educating myself on the government regime in Myanmar, I do not know why I was so anxious to have a run-in, and must say I am incredibly thankful we didn’t have any incident with the government. As they got to our seats, they took one look at us, smiled and said, “Welcome.” As the officer walked past our row, without even a glance at our documents, I reached over Suba from my window seat on the bus and attempted to throw my passport at him! I was so desperate to have some kind of interaction with the government, although I really do not know why!
At The White House Hotel in Yangon with the Manager's son
One of the nicest families we encountered on our trip!


While Myanmar remains one of the poorest countries in Asia, you might be puzzled as to WHY. Plentiful in minerals (gems, gold, and natural gas), it would appear that the country would have significant wealth –but the government controls all aspects of the wealthy natural resources, and most people in Myanmar do not even see a penny (a kyat!) from this. What Myanmar lacks in economic wealth, they make up for in the abundance of heart-warming people. The country has a rich culture that is unlike any other I have ever encountered. I met so many people on our journey who were so nice– it took me several days to let down my guard because I assumed they had ulterior motives. Their genuine and honest happiness can be inhaled at the sight of one smile from a local or one wave from a stranger as a boat speeds by at Inle.

House on canal near the mouth of Inle Lake
I worry for Myanmar at this incredibly delicate time. With the recent presence of Hillary Clinton, Prime Ministers Yingluck, Cameron and more– I am seriously concerned that tourism will soon invade. Although it is not my country, and I can hardly say I have spent enough time there, I feel protective of its innocence and unique culture. In our program, we have had several developers excitedly reference Myanmar as a “clean slate,” – a‘project’ that is predicted to be the biggest boom in development that will take place this decade. Development professionals are anxious to dig their nails into the country and have already drafted, drawn and proposed projects that would greatly impact the culture, climate and well-being of Myanmar. I hope that in the upcoming years, Myanmar will continue to preserve its unique landscape, and provide insight and education for those that chose to visit.

While I can’t provide an all-encompassing summary of the country, I can say my overall impressions were extremely positive and I managed to fall in love with the people and the landscape. The future is a very bright and exciting one for the people of Myanmar, and I only hope that they will fight to keep their unique culture, archeological sites and temples, beauty and untouched Inle Lake, and their smiles – which far surpass the smiles I have seen in Thailand. I would encourage you to Explore. Dream. Discover. Myanmar yourself – before it is threatened with change and mass tourism!

 “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine


Irrawaddy River, Bagan

No comments:

Post a Comment