![]() |
| Emmanuel Jal opening Rotary's Peace Symposium 2012 in Bangkok |
Every three years, in conjunction with the Rotary
International Convention, a Rotary Peace Symposium is held for three days prior
to the opening of the Convention. In
addition to being strategically located in Bangkok – where this year’s Rotary
International Convention was held, I also happened to be here at the right time
for the Peace Symposium! Talk about luck :)
At 7:00am on Thursday May 3rd, the first day, I
boarded the Rotary bus that took us to the Convention Center – anxious to get
the party started! As I walked down the
massive IMPACT Convention Center halls following the perfect signage to take me
to the Symposium, I couldn’t help but feel a little excited but also, a little
alone. Normally for Rotary events, there
is always someone there that you know that is “responsible” for you as their
guest – and I didn’t realize until now, but this was the first time I was alone
with Rotary.
![]() |
| Emmanuel Jal STANDS UP for Peace |
I found a seat near the front for the opening ceremony and
quickly realized after several minutes conversing with my seat mates, that with
Rotary – you are never alone.
People are so friendly in
striking up conversation that you always feel at home. I soon realized the impressive audience that
I had the pleasure to sit with given that the woman on my right was a Rotary
Peace Fellow graduate who currently worked on disaster relief teams in Aceh,
Haiti, Japan and Australia and the man on my left was a Rotarian who was the
sole educator in training Norwegian Diplomats on skillful peace negotiations.
Once we got through the routine introductions with important
Rotarians, the keynote opening speaker was introduced. Emmanuel Jal, born in Southern Sudan, was
recruited at the age of seven as a child soldier for the Sudan People’s
Liberation Movement. He survived
front-line action and eventually managed to escape with other “Lost Boys”
enduring a three-month trek on foot to reach safety. Jal was rescued by a British aid-worker who
smuggled him to freedom in Kenya where he was enrolled in school…
I had heard several former child soldiers speak (most
memorable of course was Ishmael Beah when we organized for him to speak at a
Children’s Rights briefing at the United Nations) and was all too familiar with
their horrific stories. I of course
wanted to hear Emmanuel’s story and although no former soldier’s story is the
same, it was one I had heard before.
After the introduction, a short video was shown depicting Emmanuel as a
little boy and how his life forever changed.
![]() |
| Head twistin and jumpin for PEACE |
All of a sudden, music starts to play, and Emmanuel comes
out on stage, jumping, dancing and throwing his head. I couldn’t believe it! As he got every 80+ year old Rotarian in the
room to stand on their feet and dance, I stood there in utter disbelief. As he had us each put our peace signs up and
wave them singing along to his song “We Want Peace” it was impossible not to feel
empowered and be moved. In one of the
songs he sang, he sang the following lyrics:
"I’m looking for some
people who’s looking for peace
Maybe together we could make the war cease
Now we can send mankind to the moon
And we can reach to the bottom of the sea
That’s why it really kind of baffles me
That we cannot end wars and bring peace
And we cannot change the way people act
And we cannot change the way people think
So if we sit back, chill out and relax
Civilization will soon be extinct”
Maybe together we could make the war cease
Now we can send mankind to the moon
And we can reach to the bottom of the sea
That’s why it really kind of baffles me
That we cannot end wars and bring peace
And we cannot change the way people act
And we cannot change the way people think
So if we sit back, chill out and relax
Civilization will soon be extinct”
It was the COOLEST way you could open a Peace Symposium if
you ask me – incredibly moving and motivating.
After his speech, in a conversation with several Rotarians, Emmanuel
confessed that he was truly moved by the work that Rotary had done and that
being in that room made him truly “believe in a better tomorrow.”



No comments:
Post a Comment