| With DG 3350 on Rotary One Day |
We were excused from class one Monday morning to volunteer with
Rotary’s One Day program at a local school in downtown Bangkok. And in the early morning of February 6th,
I realized that although Rotary is based in over 200 countries with 1.2 million
members its international volunteering transcends all geographic, cultural and linguistic
barriers.
![]() |
| Perfect smiles but Jon Grant: How did we do with our brushing?! |
Rotary One Day is an event held six times a year by District 3350
where Rotarians travel to a school and offer incredible services such as
dental, medical, eye and ear exams, haircuts, cooking and public speaking classes,
and a plethora of carnival games. Both
Megumi and I (Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar from Yokohama Japan and fellow MAIDS
classmate) were able to get the complete tour, assisting with teeth, eyes, ears
and more! It was wonderful to see so
many Rotarians taking off their Monday morning to help with the event.
| Yikes! In the Rotary mobile dentist's office! |
I got to spend time with over 400 children playing games racing
carts (blindfolded!), popping balloons with darts, bowling, and shooting
basketballs. I helped demonstrate how to
properly brush my teeth and got to help with an eye exam. I even held one student’s hand through an
anemic blood test – which for those of you who know me, blood is NOT something
that is easy for me to do!
It was an amazing day.
I am so thankful that I was able to participate, and learned a lot about
Rotary and its work worldwide. While
there are certainly many world hardships left to face, I am confident Rotary
will continue to provide quality and effective programs to achieve a better
world.

This may be one of the cutest pictures I've ever seen.
ReplyDelete