Thursday, February 9, 2012

Urbanization Field Trip - 22 January

The following is an excerpt from my field notes during my Urbanization class field trip which took place early one Sunday morning, January 22nd.  We explored Bangkok on foot and plunged into the depths of disagreement over the current slums in the center of town.

Exploring Min Buri slum with our new friends...
“The greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions, and not our circumstances.” 
- Martha Washington

As a child growing up in the United States education system, I had always been taught to be thankful for what I had, and was then shown pictures of children all over the world who were miserable, malnourished and uneducated.  I was taught about slums around the world and shown horrible footage of children playing in massive landfills and scavenging the ground for food.  I was told to be thankful for the opportunities I had been given, and constantly reminded of how lucky, fortunate and happy I was.  
Slum community in downtown Bangkok

While I do not disregard that slum conditions around the world are horrific, there is something to be said about the overall level of happiness and values that one can find amidst such discouraging conditions.  In such ghastly environments, it is difficult to comprehend how people can survive, let alone be happy.  However, after having traveled to slums around the world, most notably in Mexico, Africa and now Thailand, I am constantly surprised by the cheerfulness and upbeat attitudes of its residents.  

In Bang Kapi I watched children performing acrobatics in the common center of the building complex – with mothers and grandmothers looking after young ones.  They clapped as their daughters cartwheeled over thin wire and sang to their toddlers who were stumbling around.  In Min Buri, children played on the recently constructed playground and rode around the village on their tricycles.  While they rode past three-walled huts with leaky roofs and piles of what appeared to be abandoned garbage dump sites, they genuinely seemed happy.

As an American, I was always taught that we should “share our wealth” with the rest of the world, helping others to their ‘fullest potential,’ preaching democracy and spreading capitalism.  However, while I agree there are critical elements that must reach the slums – such as adequate food, water, sanitation, health and education for its residents, I am not sure if ALL of the “White Man’s Burden”[1] should be imparted.  I look at my own country, where families don’t have quality time to spend together because they are constantly working, and where children don’t have the option to ride around on a tricycle because they live in an overcrowded, concrete city.  The level of happiness is attributed to the number of expensive designer purses and exotic cars you have, and your “success” in life is measured by your monetary accomplishments.  

The highlight of the transportation was the surprise karaoke button we found on our minibus...
After our field trip to the Bang Kapi, Klong Sam Wa and Min Buri communities, I reflected on just how much the villagers’ values and happiness might chance (for better and worse) with the introduction of “The West” and foreign aid.  I truly hope that an opportunity is presented to these community members, to create advancement and prospect, while preserving their happiness, sincerity, and livelihood.  My question and concern however is, is it possible to bring them medicine, improved housing, education and technology – without instilling a ‘Westernized value system?’


[1] Rudyard Kipling’s poem “The White Man’s Burden,” although argued to have been originally written in a different context, has been used by United States imperialists as a characterization for imperialism that justified the policy as a noble enterprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment