Friday, December 23, 2011

Newest ASEAN Basketball League groupie


It’s official.  Within less than ten minutes of being at the stadium – I knew I was already a groupie.  Suba, Intan and I went to the ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) fundraiser for the Thai Floods.  The professional basketball teams from ASEAN were competing in a friendly match to raise money for flood victims while promoting the start of their season in January, 2012.

Suba, Intan and I with #14 from To Be Number One Thailand



We donated 100 baht (about $3 USD) and walked into the arena.  The arena was fairly large, but what was incredible – were that there were seats, RIGHT IN THE FRONT.  I shook my head in disbelief, remembering how much court-side seats would cost me in the US, and sprinted towards the open chairs.  We watched several games – Saigon Heat vs. Indonesia Warriors, To Be Number One Thailand vs. Singapore Slingers, and for the finals – two Filipino teams; San Miguel Beerman vs. AirAsia Philippine Patriots.  Suba told me to prepare for smaller basketball players, stating the well-known fact that Asians aren’t as tall as “Westerners.”  However, as we walked into the stadium – I could not get over HOW TALL these players were.  Perhaps it is just because I have never had court-side seats before and been SO close ;) but they were MASSIVE.

It took us a VERY long time to realize Thailand's team had identical twins!

The best part of the evening (besides the three thrillingly close games that we witnessed), was that walking around the stadium looking for food, Intan spotted her favorite basketball star from her country (Indonesia) – Mario.  He was wandering around the food level of the stadium with headphones on after pulling through in the last few seconds to beat Vietnam.  Intan approached him and asked to take a picture with him – to which he happily agreed.  Then – he began a conversation with us, asked us where we were from, why we were all together in Bangkok, etc.  Next thing we know, ESPN is in our face with cameras, lights are flashing, and Mario coolly says, “Oh yeah – you guys will be on ESPN.”  

Two GIANT players from AirAsia Philippines!
 After wandering around the stadium, meeting more star pros and taking pictures, I quickly decided that I was the newest official ABL groupie.  I greatly look forward to seeing the first game of the season in Bangkok on January 14th!

No comments:

Post a Comment