Sunday, December 11, 2011

Falang Means Foreigner: My Five Seconds of Fame


 
"This WOMAN..."
  
One important thing that I failed to mention in my recounts of His Majesty’s Birthday – was the amount of photographers and media that took our pictures and interviewed us.  I have never felt so uncomfortable in my life.  I assumed everyone (especially foreigners/tourists) came out to see the King – but I quickly learned that there are not that many falangs (foreigners) that come to see His Majesty – and there certainly are not that many falangs with BLONDE hair that come to see the King.
My five seconds of fame...

Carolina and I also got our picture in the paper!
Tuesday during our lunch break at Chula, one of my classmates came running up holding The Nation, one of Thailand’s largest English newspapers.  He was covering a spot in the paper and said, “Guess which one of our classmates is in THE NATION?!”  …As we searched more papers, it became clear, that there were several featuring a certain blonde “foreign woman” in the paper. 

It certainly was embarrassing!  I never have felt so “different” in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment