![]() |
| My thesis committee after my defense! |
I got to my room ridiculously early – with enough time to
set up my presentation, layout my papers, run through my presentation, and
check to ensure that my Myanmar tome was folded properly five thousand
times. As I fidgeted with nerves, trying
to keep my cool (with assistance from the air conditioner which blasting
freezing cold air), my external examiner entered, followed by my Chair,
supervisor and co-supervisor. Four
gentlemen, three Thai, one Australian.
One deep breath, a smile, and I was on my way talking
through my presentation. When you have
pictures to describe the people you met and the experiences you gained, it
brings everything to life and I could sense that the committee enjoyed seeing
these pictures which gave faces to the individuals I mentioned in the
interviews. I finished my presentation,
took a deep breath and braced myself for what was to come.
![]() |
| Passed! |
Every fierce competitor entertains the idea of a ‘worst case
scenario:’ The Olympian receiving silver, the spelling bee champion who misses
the silent “e” in the finals, the ballerina who falls from a twirl she had
successfully recited ten times earlier that week. The beauty pageant contestant who practices
her “loser” face. I always practice my
‘loser’ face, not because I welcome defeat, but because sportsmanship was
engraved in my brain since I was a little girl playing bunch ball (or soccer – depending
on how you watched the game).
To be blunt, no worst case scenario could have prepared me
for my defense. It was brutal. While we don’t need to go into detail, the
spitfire questions that the committee hounded you with, and the amount of
disagreeance amongst the committee members themselves, made it incredibly
difficult to decipher what was important to change or adapt, and what could be
left.
Nevertheless, two weeks later and I come back with
signatures and full approval from the committee – I PASSED my thesis, and
received the highest marks of “Very Good.”
This learning experience has been tremendous – and the
opportunity to travel to Myanmar and conduct field research is a chance I may
never get again, and one that I will never forget. I never thought the field would be so much
FUN – and I never thought it would have such an impactful impression on me.
I am incredibly happy to have jumped the next hurdle – but
still have mountains of paperwork before the finish. I have until September 21st to
submit everything and will be back
under my massive boulder in the meantime!


Congrats Ashley! I am so pround of you, as is all of Rotary! Awesome, awesome! Can't wait to hear what comes for you next. And perhaps to read (or more likely scan through) your thesis :) Let me know when its ready for other's eyes. Are you going to that conference in Jakarta? Miss you and SE Asia lots!
ReplyDelete