Over the past few days – I have had the chance to interview
amazing individuals. Individuals such as
a fisherman who, at age 58 had the body of a buff 25-year old, and shared with
me his fishing equipment and daily catch.
I have met with heads of villages and heard their stories, meetings
every single one of their children, parents, relatives and siblings. I have met with hotel staff, souvenir shop
owners, restaurant workers, travel guides, storekeepers and more. In 5 days, we have conducted over 35 in-depth
interviews and conducted over 40 surveys.
Yes- we are exhausted. But what
has kept us going has been the people and their willingness to share, and their
want to have their stories heard and recorded.
| At the local Pawn Shop in Ngwe Saung, Myanmar |
There are a few moments that stand out in my mind as I try
to capture all that we have been able to witness in these few days here. One moment in particular that stands out is
when we went to take a picture with the local pawn shop owner whom we had just
interviewed. He smiled and agreed and
then disappeared in the back of his shop.
I asked Hosana what was taking so long and he looked at me and shrugged
his shoulders. All of a sudden, the pawn
shop owner comes out wearing his best crisp polo, but even better is the
treasure that comes out proudly toddling in front – his two year old daughter
is in her best dress with a matching Mickey Mouse hat. She was absolutely adorable and as her father
proudly scooped her up in his arms for our photo, it was impossible not to
smile.
| Visiting the Monastery |
Another special moment was when we were able to enter the
Ngwe Saung monastery and interview a monk.
He is 53 years old and has been a monk for 32 years. As we walked up the entrance barefoot (you
cannot wear shoes in the monastery) I was nervous. Hosana said he had to practice his language
and make sure he didn’t say the wrong thing because you have to address monks
in a special way. What if I say the
wrong thing? Or do something offensive
without knowing? As we tiptoed up the
wooden stairs to meet the monk, I was nervous.
But as soon as the monk gave a wise, modest smile with this little
twinkle in his eyes, I realized it was going to be ok – but more importantly,
that this was one really really unique and special opportunity.
No comments:
Post a Comment