Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Broomstick Will Never Look the Same


On our way to the migrant worker factories in Maha Chai

February 7, 2012 our Globalization class embarked on our first field trip to Maha Chai – about an hour outside of Bangkok.  We met with the Labour Rights Promotion Network Foundation who briefed us on the situation of migrant workers in Thailand.  During the day, we got to visit the shrimp farms where migrant workers spend 10 hours a day shelling shrimp, we got to speak with Myanmar migrant workers, and visit their village and market place where they live.  We even had a run-in with a Thai “Mafia-broker” who called his supporters to come out and shoo us away from the village because he was told we were students and afraid we ‘knew too much.’

Due to the geographic location of Thailand, its temperate climate, and cheap living conditions, and constant demand for labor and sex workers, Thailand is a source, transit, and destination country for human trafficking.  I was aware of the trickery that took place just across Thailand’s border with neighboring country Myanmar, where men, women and teenagers are coerced into relocating to Thailand for promises of better living conditions and higher wages only to discover themselves in some of the worst conditions and human rights violations in the world today.  Once they comply (or in many cases – do not comply) they are trafficked across the border and forced to work in labor camps or sex work with extremely harsh life-threatening conditions.

While I have read several statistics and articles on various stomach-churning conditions and mistreatments, nothing prepared me for today.  One statistic that stuck with me particularly was the number 4,000.  By the time the Labour Rights Promotion Network Foundation (LPN) saved two Myanmar women who were trafficked into the sex trade, they had been working for two years, each having to have ‘seen’ over 4,000 clients.  That is roughly 2,000 clients per year or perhaps more strongly stated that is 5.48 men a day.  While the details of the treatments of the workers that the leader of the LPN were saying were nothing new to me…it was new to several of my classmates, and one in particular.

At one point, the lecturer was discussing the methods and tactics that brokers or labor wardens used to keep their workers bound to their labor.  Their workers were not allowed to leave the establishment, they were confined to small rooms, they had limited food supply…etc.  He described how when workers were sick – they were never sent to the hospitals for treatment because that was too expensive and simply replacing laborers was cheaper.  He then also stated how women who were pregnant were forced to undergo abortions…by a broomstick.

All of a sudden, my classmate and close friend Ei Ei began to shake.  I couldn’t see her face because I was sitting behind her, but I started to hear soft sobs.  Although I had no idea what happened, I quickly grabbed my Pooh bear Disney tissues from my purse and took her outside.  Once she calmed down a bit, I asked if she was ok, and what had happened.

Ei Ei with her new friends on our field trip - Myanmar shrimp farm migrant workers
Ei Ei has worked with NGOs in Myanmar for several years and is a very established professional in her field of environmental preservation for the Myanmar people.  She has seen incredible hardship in her country, is a proud Myanmar citizen and is an unbelievably strong woman.  But, as she explained to me, this was the first time she was learning about the horrible conditions of her people who were brought across the Thai border, and it made her sick.  She was so upset to hear, she became extremely emotional.

I sat there for a second, like a deer in headlights, unable to process what had just happened.  I began to justify her reaction by “oh well it’s the first time she has heard about this” or “wow she took this all really personally…”

Then, I realized I had been justifying my reactions to these stories.  I figured I was emotionally “OK” with what was being said – because I had heard it before.  But that does not make it ok, and it does not make the 10,000th case any less important than the first.  Thailand has (unsuccessfully) battled human trafficking and the mistreatment of migrant workers for over thirty years.  Billions of dollars with countless government and civil society efforts have been thrown into the region in hopes of making a difference.  While there has been progress, there is much to be done.  And just because it has been covered in the news or exposed to the world – does not mean the fight for humane treatment is over.  

Ei Ei continued, gasping out a rhetorical question about many people from her village who had gone off to Thailand in search of a better future and she wondered what happened to them, as the statistics were grim against the hope of a positive outcome.  She asked, what she, as an educated Myanmar native, was supposed to do to help them – and how she could help them.  As Ei Ei hunched over on the bench softly sobbing overwhelmed, I realized that perhaps I had tried too hard to distance myself from the realities of human trafficking, human rights violations and the situation here in Thailand with these migrant workers.  And I needed to be more upset – like Ei Ei.

As she composed herself, she tearfully out loud thanked our program for bringing her here to learn about these workers, their situations and their needs and promised that she would do everything she could to help them.  In that moment – I thanked the program for bringing me Ei Ei – who forced upon me a reality that no statistic, lecturer or documentary could while demonstrating tremendous strength, passion and courage that was insurmountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment